Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Crafty Loli (Act I: scen i): Holiday Gifts for a Lolita

This is a section dedicated to the hands on creative Lolita. I want to explore ideas for holidays, birthdays, friendly gifts, cosmetics, cards, sewing, decorating, and anything that may come to mind. Hopefully the pictures will be easy enough to follow for those of us who are more visual*^_^* I hope you enjoy them and they are helpful. I would love suggestions of any sort if you have any, and please feel free to email me, I would love to feature something that you would like to try!

Now, onto the first act!

A Yummy Lip Scrubs

The biting cold of winter is upon us and often we find ourselves purchasing lip balm to soothe and ease our weather worn lips. Although this is a quick and easy remedy, it doesn't always get rid of the unwanted patchwork that usually presents itself in the winter months.

One thing we often forget when applying any balm or syrum is that exfoliating is the key to our chapped lip redemption. Just as it can take care of dead and flaking skin on the face, elbows, and knees, these little exfoliant crystals can smooth out your lips and the best part is you don't even have to leave your kitchen to get any of the ingredients!

Now what can be better than a gift of smooth, soft, lips for the holiday season?

It's fun and easy and, depending on the recipe, usually only requires three ingredients (sorry, mine has four). The one I've listed here I made up based on smell and taste. It was a fun experiment I enjoyed and hope you do too!

Ingredients
1 tbsp 1/2 tsp Granulated Sugar
1 tbsp 1/2 tsp Light Brown Sugar
1/2 tspn Cinnamon
1/2 Olive Oil(I used extra vigin olive oil)

~The recipe is fairly simple, grab a bowl and a spoon or spatula and dump the sugar and brown sugar in the bowl. It may taste a little better if you put in another fourth a tsp of brown sugar for your mix.
~Once thoroughly mixed, add in the cinnamon and remix. The mix should turn a slightly darker shade of brown.

~Next add in the 1/2 tsp of olive oil. Make certain you stir the mix thoroughly, it shouldn't clump or melt.
~With a spoon or funnel, gently add your mixture into your air~tight storage jar.

~Last step: ENJOY! What you've just made is edible and yummy and should taste like french toast.

Presentation and Storage

For my lip scrub jar I used a cute little round favor jars I got from Michaels a few years ago for favors for a show (they fit Hersey Kisses perfectly(^_^)) They come in an 18 count and cost about you can find it in the wedding aisle.

I also put stickers I had on the sides to decorate it. Bows, glitter gel, the sky's the limit, but remember you have a mix in it that comes in contact with your mouth. Be sure that whatever you stick on the jar won't come loose and contaminate your lip scrub.

I drew a holiday card then added the important lip scrub information in it. It's good to list the ingredients as well. If the person who receives this is allergic to something you didn't  know about they'll be able to know from the card. I add this because my gift is for a yankee swap at a lolita holiday party and anyone can receive it.

Important Note: Whatever you plan on using for storing your sugar scrub it needs to be air~tight and can be stored up to approximately 2 weeks. Stickers for the recipient of this gift, marking when it is good by, can easily be placed on the bottom of the jar without taking away from the aestetic cuteness of the present itself.

Well, that's all for now, I hope you find this tutorial usful and yummy for your holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment