Monday, June 25, 2012

Sewing: Fun AND Fiasco!

Recently I have had a lot of sewing problems, machine wreckage...( ̄▽ ̄)(T ^ T) and since, my sewing life came to a slow trudge, hand sewing being my only choice. I don't mind hand sewing but having that as the only option makes me appreciate my machine a whole lot more.

I went to take my singer to the store to send it out and instead of having a 25 year warranty that applies to everything, like I thought, it doesn't apply to the $99.00 fee for the labor which I thought was covered.

Apparently not...

I was then sent on a wild goose chase to a man named Mr. Matook, a former sewing machine mechanic and sewing fiend, to see if he could help me out. He was absolutely amazing. He's a very kind, old man, works out of his basement shop, which has about 300 sewing machines, at least!

Mr. Matook took a look at my machine and opened it up asking me what was wrong with it, if I knew, and gently scolded me for breaking needles. He just kind of goofed on me, he was definitely a goof, singing songs as he opened my machine and attempted to get into the thing.

Anywho, the goose chase part came when I left it with him and he found that the job wasn't mechanical, but electric. I sort of figured, but I am getting tired of dealing with the thing and sending it out finding out several things that weren't mentioned before after warrenty and everything...

We struck a deal and he sold me an old metal model that I had my mother help pick out for me (she's pretty good with machine and make). We tested it out, confirmed working order, and my mom was excited to say she had other parts to the machine that were just inserts for different stitches, it's really cool.

It's a Singer Fashion Mate 360 from the 70s, but that's just the tip of the iceburg from his shop collection. He has a child's learning machine from about 50 years ago, which is about half the size of a normal machine. It still has it's case and everything and still works. He even has a model from the old Rhode Island Outlet, which did both retail and broadcasting all from the same building.


Matter of fact, the building for the old Outlet Company is based in Providence and right down the street from me.

Welcome to The Outlet Company. ^_^
 So now I have a working machine for really cheap, and it's all metal and mechanic insides will make my sewing life easier. I already restarted a project and everything has been in working order. All that is needed is getting used to making button holes on the machine.


I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I want to do with this one, it's missing something...I just don't know what exactly. I don't want to overwhelm this and I don't want it to be missing that one thing, I'll just keep experimenting though, like always.

I hope to finish this by Tuesday for a picnic, hopefully I will, and also have a macaroon recipe to post, I've never made any before.

Hope your morning is going well, grab a cup and let the day go!

2 comments:

  1. that is beautiful machine gah *A*

    i've been trying to look at new ones but it's difficult to find ones that are made with metal bodies ToT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I was lucky to get this and for a good price. And now I know where to go for a tune up for my machine ^_^

      Delete