Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Madeleines ala Julia Child...you can't go wrong...

You! Yes, you, with the face looking at my blog!

Remember that madeleine post I made, just yesterday? You've got it right? Well forget it! THIS...is The madeleine you need to try.

No joke. Just try it.

 Seriously, if you were thinking of making the other one, it's a mistake! Don't do it! I really never thought I'd do this, but you need to realize this cookie is the real deal.

I never understood when reading other people's blogs about maddies why everyone was being so picky and calling other ones lame...now I do, and I'm sorry I doubted the real reason.

Now, I've tried a few different recipes before the last one and never really thought they were much better, or had a reason to not be good. It is with a very heavy heart I realize those weren't the madeleines I was looking for.

The elusive spongy, not eggy, little half shell of heaven.

In order to right my wrong, I am posting this as close I can without over explaining.

I'd also like to thank Julia Child for making me realize my wrong~doing... Thank you.

These were because of you.

Les Madeleines de Commercy/The Madeleines with The Hump on Top Original recipe found in 
From Julia Child’s Kitchen by Julia Child.

2 large eggs, beaten
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
4 ounces unsalted butter and 1 1/2 tablespoons for buttering the molds (total of 5 1/4 ounces)
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Grated lemon zest from 1/2 lemon
3 drops of lemon juice (or 2 of lemon and 2 of bergamot)
2 large Madeleine pans

All ingredients should be brought to room temperature before mixing so that the melted butter doesn't congeal either in the batter or before you have blended the ingredients together.

Combine flour and sugar in a mixing bowl and add 3/4 of the beaten eggs, slowly.  Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon to blend into a heavy cream. It will take a very long time if you aren't strong with a wooden spoon.

Take your time. – If very stiff, and it will be for a while, add a little bit of the remaining egg, one droplet or egg at a time.  Set aside for 10 minutes.

During the 10 bring all of the butter to a boil until it begins to brown lightly.

Stir the rest of the butter over cold water until cool but still liquid.  Beat the remaining bit of egg into the batter and stir in the cool butter. 





Stir in the salt, vanilla, grated lemon zest, lemon juice (and bergamot if using). 

Cover the batter, and set aside in the refrigerator for at least one hour. 

In the meantime, paint the Madeleine cups with a light coating of butter and flour mixture, wiping up any pools that form in the bottom.  Set the madeleine pan aside or refrigerate if the  kitchen is warm(THIS IS A VERY GOOD TIP< PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE!).



Preheat the oven to 375° while mixture and pans are in the fridge

Using a spoon and rubber spatula, drop a rounded tablespoonful of batter into each Madeleine cup.  Do not spread the batter to fill the mold.  Repeat with remaining batter and mold. 


Set pans on the middle rack and bake for about 15 minutes.  The batter will spread on its own to fill the cups and a hump will gradually form in the middle.  Unmold onto a rack, humped side up. True story.

Serve as is, or sprinkle tops with a dusting of confectioner’s sugar.* Makes 2 dozen Madeleines.

These are so good, they don't even need the powdered sugar dusting. No kidding what~so~ever. I'm serious! You want a good madeleine go to Julia Child...









No comments:

Post a Comment