Friday, January 22, 2016

365LLC: Day 22: Share A Favorite Book That Other Lolitas Might Like

These past few months have honestly been a whirlwind and fluttering of pages for me, I have indulged in reading at least 40 new books in the last 3 or 4 months alone. There were some mighty good ones and then there were some that made me wish I had gouged my eyes out. Luckily there were free due to my free book apps and things like BookBub.

What I have discovered is that I really do prefer older books from what I've read of newer stories. I love Frankenstein and Dracula, can't beat the classics, and Dorian Grey and one of my all time favorites, The Canterville Ghost. I could read and reread these books, pretty much everything up to and around Sherlock Holmes and anything Tolkien, without hesitation so it was really hard to choose one book but I decided to go with something that not every Lolita who loves classic literature might know and was a little more contemporary.



This book has been a favorite of mine since a friend pretty much through her copy at me in high school. It's a fairly quick read so I've ended up reading this book so many times that the copy I have has actually begun to fall apart! It's a gilded age mystery and the story unfolds right at the discovery of the 4th murder of a maid, however, there is more to it than a simple maid uniform.

It turns out that it's one of the summer socialites whom arrive every summer from New York to enjoy in the coast and the finest parties the rich have to offer and when she is identified by another cottager things get tumultuous quickly. There is something bigger going on then the socialites are letting on and the detective on the case has only the help of the very same woman who identified the body, everyone else is tight lipped and closing ranks, setting up an odd partnership.

It's really a fun little story and I really loved it because of the setting - being the mansions of Newport, RI, I could see what was described easily - and the clothing described within the pages. I think that it's a nice little pick me up and other Lolita will enjoy it too. If you see it, which it should be fairly cheap as it's a fairly old book, I highly suggest giving it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment