My sailor one piece has been a project, indeed. Each piece structured to what I want, and discovering new cuts, and making new designs has been rewarding. I wanted to plan it for the Tall Ships Festival and Tea Party that my local comm had planned a while back, but never got to go out to...so I decided to take my time since.
Here is the design I decided I wanted to go with:
The lighter shading is only to define sections of the pleating, and the bottom tear of ruffles became a shorter and smaller pleat ruffle. Many aspects of this one piece has changed since the initial sketch up. The good thing about being indecisive is that now I have more time to decide what to do our change, I'm almost finished now.
|Little red and white anchors.|
The buttons! I have been trying to find the perfect buttons for this particular piece for a while now. I happened to come across these little cuties in Joanne's Fabric on a recent trip and just knew they would be perfect. (okay, this trip happened before fall really...)
I did change out the ribbons from 1/4" polyester red ribbon, which was just too small, to the 3/8" of the same type that were just much more defining I think. Once I'm done with that I may change out the ribbons on the sailor collar too, but I think that project may be the whole collar and not just the ribbon.
|The work so far.|
All in all, I'm quite happy with how it's turning out so far. I'm happy it's almost done now and I'm really trying not to rush the finish just to simply finish. I know that when I finally am happy with my design, through actually doing and redoing, I will be able to duplicate what the finished dress will be without issue.
What I do take away from this latest work is a few new tricks for putting in zippers. Installing zippers are probably my least favorite past times in sewing, but this really makes a difference!
Well that's all for now all you frilly people, now it's time to kick back and enjoy a beautiful autumn day with a nice hot cup of tea.